ADVANCED BIBLICAL STUDIES
In Association with UNISA
It all started in 1983 when Apostle Theo Wolmarans spearheaded what has now become one of the largest and fastest growing Bible Colleges in the world. Apostle Theo appointed Ps Bob Daniels as the first Dean of the Bible College, where a handful of students would come to study five times a week for a year, under his guidance. Ps Smiley Papenfus was then handed the baton and initiated the Layman's School of Training. Although the curriculum was retained, slight adaptations were made. This avid golf player introduced a golf course model into Bible College by substituting courses for "holes". Students were given a map of a golf course which would direct them from course to course. Live lectures as well as tape correspondence studies were also introduced.
The Bible College further evolved when Ps Smiley handed over to Ps Rodney Pienaar. Modules were introduced into the curriculum, in place of the golf course model.
In 1999, Ps André Wilmans was appointed the Dean of Christian Family Church Bible College. As a young man with many aspirations, he was now given this huge task of taking Bible College to the next level. Willing, although perhaps far from able in the natural, he went ahead, introducing a curriculum that would earn students preliminary accreditation with SAQA, Christian Life Training (CLT). Now students had an even broader selection of how they would study as CFCI Bible College offered two curriculums - Bible College Modular Training and Christian Life Training.
Yet a deep desire burned in Apostle Theo to see more "sons" and "daughters" go out from CFCI, teaching the truths imparted to them by the father, and so began the birth of a New Bible College incorporating the School of Timothy's.
Through inspiration and wisdom given by Apostle Theo, both Dr. Andre Wilmans, who served as the Dean until 2006, subsequently becoming the Principal of all CFCIBC worldwide, and Dr. Johnny Slabbert who was the Dean from 2007 until 2009, put together a team that, under their supervision and guidance, would see the dream realized. In January 2007 this became a reality and the doors of the first Bible College, incorporating School of Timothy's, opened with over 500 students joining. All these years of combined experience, with the leading of the Holy Spirit, has produced a Bible College whose curriculum is Spirit birthed and God inspired. We are fully persuaded that those willing and able to introduce this curriculum into their local church setting will experience the same revival.
We have come a long way since our inception; having trained over 5000 students for successful ministry, embracing an evolving curriculum with the focus on remaining relevant in a changing society. The Bible College now boasts full international accreditation to Bachelor’s level, and in 2012 Drs. Johnny Slabbert and Andre Wilmans introduced a Master’s program, later spearheaded and completed by Dr. Simone Slabbert and her development team, and this is where it stands today.
The curriculum of CFCI Bible College is ministry based, resolute in its goal to plant and establish word based churches and Bible Colleges worldwide. It is our desire to see this accredited curriculum incorporated into every Christian Family Church around the world so that together we can achieve our combined goal of over 50 Bible Colleges by the year 2020.
What We Believe
The program and activities governing the conduct of CHRISTIAN FAMILY CHURCH JOHANNESBURG are based upon, and at all times shall be consistent with, the following creed and beliefs:
1. THE SCRIPTURES:
The Bible is the inspired word of God, the product of Holy Men of old who spoke and wrote as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. The New Covenant as recorded in the New Testament, we accept as our infallible guide in matters pertaining to conduct and doctrine. ( II Tim. 3:16, I Thess. 2:13, II Peter 1:21 ).
2. THE GODHEAD:
Our God is One, but manifested in three persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, being co-equal. God the Father is greater than all, the Source of the Word (Logos) and the Begetter
( John 14:28, John 16:28, John 1:14 ). The Son is the Word of flesh-covered, the One Begotten, and has existed with the Father from the beginning ( John 1:1, John 1:18, John 1:14 ). The Holy Spirit proceeds forth from both the Father and the Son and is eternal
( John 15:16 ).
3. MAN, HIS FALL AND REDEMPTION:
Man is a created being, made in the likeness and image of God, but through Adam's transgression and fall, sin came into the world.
"All have sinned and come short of the glory of God." "As it is written, there is none righteous, no not one." Jesus Christ, the Son of God, was manifested to undo the work of the devil, and gave His life and shed His blood to redeem and restore man back to God.
( Romans 5:12, Romans 3:23, Romans 3:10, John 1:1 ). Salvation is a gift from God to man, separate from the works and the law, and is made operative by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, producing works acceptable to God. ( Ephesians 2:18, ).
4. ETERNAL LIFE AND NEW BIRTH:
Man's first step toward salvation is Godly sorrow that worketh repentance. The new birth is necessary to all men, and, when fulfilled, produces eternal life. ( II Cor.7:10, I John 5:12,
John 3:3-5 ).
5. WATER BAPTISM:
Baptism in water is by immersion and is a direct commandment of our Lord, and is for believers only. The ordinance is a symbol of the Christian's identification with Christ in His death, burial, and resurrection. ( Matt. 28.19, Romans 6:4, Col. 2:12, Acts 8:36 -39 ). The following recommendation regarding the Water Baptismal formula is adopted, to wit: "On the confession of your faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and by His authority, I baptize you in the name of the Father, Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen."
6. BAPTISM IN THE HOLY SPIRIT:
The Baptism in the Holy Spirit and Fire is a gift from God as promised by the Lord Jesus Christ to all believers in this dispensation and is received subsequent to the new birth. This experience is accompanied by the initial evidence of the speaking in other tongues as the Holy Spirit himself gives utterance.
( Matt. 3.11,John 14:16-17, Acts 1:8, Acts 2:38-39, Acts 19:1-7,
Acts 2:4 ).
The Bible teaches that without Holiness no man can see the Lord. We believe in the doctrine of Sanctification as a definite yet progressive work of grace, commencing at the time of regeneration and continuing until the consummation of Salvation. ( Heb.12:14,
I Thess. 5:23, II Peter 3:18. II Cor. 3:18. Phil. 3:12-14, 1 Cor. 1:30 ).
8. DIVINE HEALING:
Healing is for physical ills of the human body and is wrought by the power of God through the prayer of faith, of the laying on of hands. It is provided for in Christ's redemption for us, and it is the privilege of every member of the church today. ( Mark 16-18, James 5:14-15,
I Peter 2:24, Matt. 8:17, Isa. 53:4-5 ).
9. RESURRECTION OF THE JUST AND THE RETURN OF OUR LORD:
The angels said, "This same Jesus shall so come in like manner." His coming is imminent. When He comes, "The dead in Christ shall rise first; then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air."
( Acts1: 1-11, I Thess. 4:16-17 ).
10. HELL AND ETERNAL RETRIBUTION:
The one who physically dies in his sins without Christ is hopelessly and eternally lost in the lake of fire and, therefore, has no further opportunity of hearing the Gospel or for repentance. The lake of fire is literal. The terms "eternal" and "everlasting" used in describing the duration of the punishment of the damned in the lake of fire carry the same thought and meaning of endless existence as used in noting the duration of joy and ecstasy in the saints in the presence of God. ( Heb 9:27, Rev 19:20 ).
11. THE ORDINANCE OF THE LORD'S SUPPER:
The ordinance of the Lord's Supper shall be observed regularly as enjoined in the Scriptures ( Luke 22:19-20, I Cor. 11:23-26 ).
Statement of Faith
1. We believe in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments, in their original writing, as fully inspired of God, and accept them as the supreme and final authority for faith and life.
2. We believe in one God, eternally existing in three Persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
3. We believe that Jesus Christ was begotten of the Father, conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, and is true God and true man.
4. We believe that God created man in His own image; that man sinned and thereby incurred the penalty of sin, which is death physically and spiritually; that all human beings inherit a sinful nature which issued (in the case of those who reach moral responsibility) in actual transgression involving personal guilt.
5. With regard to sexual behavior, we believe in heterosexual relationships between a natural man and a natural woman within the confines of lawful matrimony. Adherence to this stated principle of sexual behavior is an inherent requirement of membership of CHRISTIAN FAMILY CHURCH.
6. We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died for our sins as a substitutionary sacrifice according to the Scriptures and that all who believe in Him are justified on the grounds of His shed blood.
7. We believe in the bodily resurrection of the Lord Jesus, His ascension into Heaven, and His present life as our High Priest and Advocate.
8. We believe in the personal return of the Lord Jesus Christ.
9. We believe that all who repent of their sin and receive the Lord Jesus Christ by faith are born again of the Holy Spirit and thereby become children of God.
10. We believe in the baptism in the Holy Spirit, empowering and equipping believers for service, with the accompanying supernatural gifts of the Holy Spirit; and in fellowship with the Holy Spirit. We believe in the divinely ordained ministries of the Apostle, Prophet, Teacher, Pastor, and Evangelist.
11. With regard to submission to authority, we believe in the principle of being in authority because you are under authority. As such, it is understood that Christian Family Church membership shall be subject to submission to authority in matters pertaining to church governance, doctrine and personal behavior.
12. We believe in the resurrection of both the just and the unjust, the eternal blessedness of the redeemed, and the eternal banishment of those who have rejected the offer of salvation.
13. We believe that the one true Church is the whole company of those who have been redeemed by Jesus Christ and regenerated by the Holy Spirit; that the local church on earth should take its character from this concept of the Church spiritual and therefore that the new birth and personal confession of Christ are essentials of church membership.
14. We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ appointed two ordinances: Baptism in water and the Lord's Supper, to be observed as acts of obedience and as perpetual witnesses to the cardinal facts of the Christian Faith, that Baptism is the immersion of the believer in water as a confession of identification with Christ in burial and resurrection, and that the Lord's Supper is the partaking of the emblems symbolic of the Savior's broken body and shed blood, in remembrance of His sacrificial death, until He comes.
15. We believe that divine healing was provided for in the Old and New Testaments, and is an integral part of the Gospel.
16. We believe that the Bible teaches that without holiness no man can see the Lord. We believe in the doctrine of sanctification as a definite, yet progressive work of grace, commencing at the time of the new birth and continuing until the consummation of salvation.
17. We believe in obeying the statement made by Jesus found in Matthew 28, verses 19-20, which is "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you, and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen.
18. The fellowship is open to any further truth which the Holy Spirit may illuminate from the Scriptures.